Monday, November 29, 2010

Am I willing to change perspectives?

My roomies are Christmas people. They started decorating already (see photo below). Unfortunately for them, I am not. Actually, that’s not 100% true. I’m just very particular about Christmas. I don’t like cheesy decorations. Make them nice or don’t make them at all. Prime example, the blow up decorations everyone pops onto their front lawns when they’re too lazy to make an effort. Seriously?

Secondly, I abhor the silliness of songs like “All I Want For Christmas Is A Hippopotamus”.  Or those ones that are completely irrelevant to Christmas and are just there because an entertainer needed something to sell. I do love those old ones. The ones like Silent Night, O Holy Night, and White Christmas. Mmmm, so beautiful.

IMG_0239

Thirdly, I don’t like putting up the tree, although I’m leaving room for change on this topic being as I’ve only ever had a fake tree, excluding 1 year. I figure I can’t completely dis it as I’ve never actually done the real thing. I want to experience going out to the woods, picking out my tree, chopping it down, and bringing it home. I have an inking that I might actually enjoy that. Especially if it were with a special someone. I suspect that fact alone probably makes it a bit more special.

Lastly, (because if I make too many points I’ll continue on a horrible rant and no one will ever want to read this blog again) I don’t like the stress or commercialization of the holiday. Everyone is so stressed out because they want to get the perfect gift or give the perfect gift. But that isn’t what it’s all about. Is it?

I mean, this season is supposed to be a time for family, love, and celebration; to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ. The Christmas story. It’s such a beautiful story. It’s all about love. Even if you don’t believe in Jesus Christ or even the Christmas story, chances are you believe in love and love comes in so many forms. So this Christmas, I am trying to change my perspective about the season. I’m going to focus more on love and less on what I don’t like about the season and maybe, just maybe I’ll learn to like it.

1 comment:

Poppy said...

Agree! :)
I just posted a comment at some other blog, which already had a photo of a Christmas tree on. I mean, it's the first of December! As if they wanted to wait for the last day of November to pass. It's December now, we can put up the tree. :P

In Slovenia, there is (or was) a tradition of decorating the tree on the night before Christmas. Families would get together and decorate their tree in the evening, put up the nativities and then go to a midnight mass. We usually do it a bit earlier, but still not in November! :)

Have a nice holidays and just make them as YOU like it. :)