Monday, June 7, 2010

Peeking

Recently, I realized that I have a fascination with eyes. It never really occurred to me on this sort of level until the last few weeks. I was looking through magazines for some interesting and "artsy" photos to hang on my new wall space. (We rearranged our room and I have an entire wall that I could fill up!) Well, after about an hour and a half of looking, ripping, tearing, and saving, I gathered my many specimens and trudged upstairs. As I was hanging them on the walls I realized that the majority were mostly head shots of people with striking eyes. When I look, I don't see the rest of the photo. I simply stare at the eyes. One such specimen has a brown haze in her unusually blue eyes. It makes them totally striking and unique. In her eyes I see wonder, excitement, and intensity, though her face is not smiling or mirroring any of these expressions.
What makes me so attracted to eyes? Why do they fascinate me so? Maybe because everyone's are so unique? Or is it because you can really see someone when you look into their eyes?
Have you ever noticed that when you look into someone's eyes you can see how they really feel? I have. I've looked and seen fear, frustration, hurt, anger, love, passion, joy, and sorrow. No matter what anyone does, they're eyes betray their true feelings. Sometimes you can fool yourself and wish and hope that really they don't feel that way, but as soon as you look into their eyes you just know. With one glance I've seen desperation so vast that it seems to reach endlessly into someone's soul. With one look I've seen love beyond measure. With one blink I've seen fear arise and with the next, watched it subside.
I've heard it said somewhere that the eyes are the window to the soul. I believe it. Looking at them tells so much about a person. They scream the unspoken and divulge the reality of emotion. The eyes are the first thing to say hello, the first to say that hurt, the first to say i love you. They are the final communication in any conversation, whether that be a spoken conversation or completely non-verbal. Maybe that's why I love them so much. They tell me so  much more than I could possibly know by asking a question or hearing an answer. In any respect, I love eyes and I've just begun to discover them.

No comments: