Sunday, April 19, 2009

Discovery of Sorts

Being competitive has its perks. The rush of adrenaline, the wild excitement at doing something just because you need to be good at it. Yeah well, it also has its downsides. One of which is getting hurt because you over did it. I have experienced this one yet again. I was playing football yesterday, not being too far gone into my competitiveness, and injured my knee. NOT FUN!

So today I'm stiff, sore, and counting hours until I can take that next ibuprofen. This little inconvenience has given me a few minutes to sit, think, and in some sense relax. Lately I have been re-evaluating what is important to me, my likes and dislikes, and what I want to do. I figured out that I like dressing nicely for me, that I love just being outdoors on a nice day (especially when that day includes hiking in the woods), I hate when I get annoyed at the slightest things without reason, and I still don't know what I want to do with the rest of my life. But I think there is still time to figure that last one out.

I'm finding me again and am learning to like who I am and not care what other people think or want me to do just because they do it that way etc. It's a hard time and I have a love/hate for this season, but it's necessary and vital. It's my own little adventure, known and experienced only by me.

We are all inventors, each sailing out on a voyage of discovery, guided each by a private chart, of which there is no duplicate. The world is all gates, all opportunities.---Ralph Waldo Emerson

No comments: